83. Callaghan, CT, JJL Rowley, WK Cornwell, AGB Poore and RE Major. 2019. Citizen science is mainstream, but there is room for improvement: a conceptual framework for improved biodiversity sampling in space and time. PLoS Biology 17(6): e3000357.
82. Macolino, A, KA Dafforn, LH Hedge, AGB Poore and EL Johnston. 2019. Fine-scale effects of boat moorings on soft sediment communities masked in large-scale comparisons. Frontiers in Marine Science 6:101.
*81. Brandenburger, CR, WB. Sherwin, S Creer, R Buitenwerf, AGB Poore, LA Rollins, R Frankham and AT Moles. 2019. Rapid reshape: The evolution of striking morphological change in an introduced beach daisy. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B 286: 20181713.
*Claire talks about the research on ABC Radio’s Future Tense.
78. Glasier, JRN, AGB Poore and DJ Eldridge. 2018. Do mutualistic associations have broader host ranges than neutral or antagonistic associations? A test using myrmecophiles as model organisms. Insectes Sociaux 65: 639–648.
*77. Archer, M, AGB Poore, AM Horn, H Bates, S. Bonser, M Hunt, J Russell, NP Archer, D Bye and EJ Kehoe. 2018. Thirty-two years of continuous assessment reveal first year university biology students in Australia are rapidly abandoning beliefs in theistic involvement in human origins. Evolution: Education and Outreach 11:12.
76. Graba-Landry, A, AS Hoey, JK Matley, H Sheppard-Brennand, AGB Poore, M Byrne & SA Dworjanyn. 2018. Ocean warming has greater and more consistent negative effects than ocean acidification on the growth and health of subtropical macroalgae. Marine Ecology Progress Series 595: 55-69.
75. Lanham, B, Vergés, A, L Hedge, EL Johnston & AGB Poore. 2018. Altered fish community and feeding behaviour in close proximity to boat moorings in an urban estuary. Marine Pollution Bulletin 129: 43-51.
74. Vergés, A, C Doropoulos, R Czarnik, K McMahon, N Llonch & AGB Poore. 2018. Latitudinal variation in seagrass herbivory: global patterns and explanatory mechanisms. Global Ecology and Biogeograpy 27: 1068-1079.
72. Evans, SM, KJ Griffin, AGB Poore and A Vergés. 2018. Seagrass on the brink: decline of threatened seagrass Posidonia australis continues following protection. PLoS ONE 13(4): e0190370.
71. Evans, SM, EA Sinclair, AGB Poore, KF Bain and A Vergés. 2018. Assessing the effect of genetic diversity on the early establishment of the threatened seagrass Posidonia australis using a reciprocal-transplant experiment. Restoration Ecology 26: 570-580.
70. Sotka, EE, V Jormalainen and AGB Poore. 2018. The evolution of marine herbivores in response to algal secondary metabolites. Pp. 193-220 in Puglisi, MP and MA Becerro (eds.) Chemical ecology: the ecological impacts of marine natural products. CRC Press.
69. Gribben, PE, DL Kimbro, A Vergés, TC Gouhier, S Burrell, RG Garthwin, M Lastra Cagigas, Y Tordoff and AGB Poore. 2017. Positive and negative interactions control a facilitation cascade. Ecosphere 8: e02065.
*68. Evans, SM, A Vergés and Poore, AGB. 2017. Genotypic diversity and short-term response to shading stress in a threatened seagrass: does low diversity mean low resilience? Frontiers in Plant Science 8: 147.
*Part of a Special Topic on the Conservation Ecology of Aquatic Plants
*67. Poore, AGB, ST Ahyong, JK Lowry and EE Sotka. 2017. Plant feeding promotes diversification in the Crustacea. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 114: 8829–8834.
*Commentary on the Australian Museum’s blog
*Editor’s choice for September 2017 issue
63. Foo, SA, SA Dworjanyn, AGB Poore, J Harianto and M Byrne. 2016. Adaptive capacity of the sea urchin Heliocidaris erythrogramma to ocean change stressors: responses from gamete performance to the juvenile. Marine Ecology Progress Series 556: 161-172.
62. Hughes, LE and AGB Poore. 2016. Biancolina japonica Ishimaru 1996: first record of this burrowing amphipod from Australia and a review of host use in the genus Biancolina (Amphipoda: Peracarida: Crustacea). Marine Biodiversity Records 9:32.
61. Poore, AGB, S Graham, M Byrne and SA Dworjanyn. 2016. Effects of ocean warming and lowered pH on algal growth and palatability to a grazing gastropod. Marine Biology 163: 99.
60. Stelling-Wood, TP, GF Clark and AGB Poore. 2016. Responses of ghost crabs to human modification of urban sandy beaches. Marine Environmental Research 116: 32-40.
59. Bain, KF and AGB Poore. 2016. Use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to quantify diet mixing in a marine generalist herbivore. Marine Biology 163: 79.
58. Evans, SM, E Sinclair, AGB Poore, KF Bain, A Vergés. 2016. Genotypic richness predicts phenotypic variation in an endangered clonal plant. PeerJ 4:e1633.
57. Eldridge, DJ, AGB Poore, M Ruiz-Colmenero, M Letnic and S Soliveres. 2016. Ecosystem structure, function and composition in rangelands are negatively affected by livestock, irrespective of grazing pressure or rainfall. Ecological Applications 26: 1273–1283.
*56. Cooke, J, R Lanfear, A Downing, MR Gillings, AGB Poore, ID Goodwin, LS Waldron, A Phillips ,Y Metti and MW Bulbert. 2015. The unusual occurrence of green algal balls of Chaetomorpha linum on a beach in Sydney, Australia. Botanica Marina 58: 401-417.
*My popular science article on ScienceAlert about this event
55. Lanham,BS, PE Gribben and AGB Poore. 2015. Beyond the border: effects of an expanding algal habitat on the fauna of neighbouring habitats. Marine Environmental Research 106: 10-18.
54. Mejaes, BA, AGB Poore and M Thiel. 2015. Crustaceans inhabiting domiciles excavated from macrophytes and stone. Pp. 118-144 In Thiel, M and L Watling (eds) The life styles and feeding biology of the Crustacea. Volume II in the natural history of the Crustacea series. Oxford University Press.
*53. Foo, SA, SA Dworjanyn, MS Khatkar, AGB Poore and M Byrne. 2014. Increased temperature, but not acidification, enhances fertilization and development in a tropical urchin: potential for adaptation to a tropicalized eastern Australia. Evolutionary Applications 7: 1226–1237.
*Winner, 2015 Tony Roach Prize in Marine Environmental Science, Sydney Institute of Marine Science
*52. Vergés A, PD Steinberg, ME Hay, AGB Poore, AH Campbell, E Ballesteros, KL Heck Jr, D Booth, MA Coleman, D Feary, W Figueira, T Langlois, EM Marzinelli, T Mizerek, PJ Mumby, Y Nakamura, M Roughan, E van Sebille, A Sen Gupta, DA Smale, F Tomas, T Wernberg, SK Wilson. 2014. The tropicalisation of temperate marine ecosystems: climate-mediated changes in herbivory cause community phase shifts. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B. 281(1789): 20140846.
51. Evans, SM, EA Sinclair, AGB Poore, PD Steinberg, G Kendrick and A Vergés. 2014. Genetic diversity in threatened Posidonia australis seagrass meadows. Conservation Genetics 15: 717-728.
*50. Poore, AGB, L Gutow, J Pantoja, F Tala, D Jofré Madariaga and M Thiel. 2014. Major consequences of minor damage: impacts of small grazers on fast growing kelps. Oecologia 174: 789-801.
* Cover article
49. Garthwin, RG, AGB Poore and A Vergés. 2014. Seagrass tolerance to herbivory under increased ocean temperatures. Marine Pollution Bulletin 83: 475-482.
* Part of special volume on Seagrass meadows in a globally changing environment
48. Bain, K, A Vergés and AGB Poore. 2013. Using near infra red reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to quantify tissue composition in the seagrass Posidonia australis. Aquatic Botany 111: 66-70.
*47. Poore, AGB, A Graba-Landry, M Favret, M Byrne, H Sheppard Brennand and SA Dworjanyn. 2013. Direct and indirect effects of ocean acidification and warming on a plant-herbivore interaction. Oecologia 73: 1113-1124.
* Featured on ABC Science
*46. Clark, JS, AGB Poore, PJ Ralph and MA Doblin. 2013. Potential for adaptation in response to thermal stress in an intertidal macroalga. Journal of Phycology 49: 630–639.
* Winner, Luigi Provasoli award from the Phycological Society of America
* Cover article – featured as the Journal of Phycology’s Algae Highlight
*Featured on Science Alert
45. Moles, AT, B Peco, IR Wallis, WJ Foley, AGB Poore, AJ Bisigato, L Cella-Pizarro, CJ Clark, PS Cohen, WK Cornwell, W Edwards, R Ejrnaes T Gonzales-Ojeda, BJ Graae, G Hay, F Lumbwe, B Magaña-Rodríguez, BD Moore, PL Peri, JR Poulsen, JC Stegen, R Veldtman, H von Zeipel, NR Andrew, SL Boulter, ET Borer, F Fernández Campón, M Coll, AG Farji-Brener, J De Gabriel, E Jurado, LA Kyhn, B Low, CPH Mulder, K Reardon-Smith, J Rodríguez-Velázquez, EW Seabloom, PA Vesk, A van Cauter, MS Waldram, Z Zheng, PG Blendinger, BJ Enquist, JM Facelli, T Knight, JD Majer, M Martinez-Ramos, P McQuillan, LD Prior, FKC Hui. 2013. Correlations between physical and chemical defences in plants: Trade-offs, syndromes, or just many different ways to skin a herbivorous cat? New Phytologist 198: 252-263.
44. Poore, AGB and KM Gallagher. 2013. Strong consequences of diet choice in a talitrid amphipod consuming seagrass and algal wrack. Hydrobiologia 701: 117-127.
43. Foo, SA, SA Dworjanyn, AGB Poore and M Byrne. 2012. Adaptive capacity of the habitat modifying sea urchin Centrostephanus rodgersii to ocean warming and ocean acidification: performance of early embryos. PLoS ONE 7: e42497.
42. Poore, AGB, AH Campbell, RA Coleman, GJ Edgar, V Jormalainen, PL Reynolds, EE Sotka, JJ Stachowicz, RB Taylor, MA Vanderklift and JE Duffy. 2012. Global patterns in the impact of marine herbivores on benthic primary producers. Ecology Letters 15: 912-922.
*Open access in Reviews and Syntheses section
* Featured in Cosmos magazine
41. Gall, ML, AGB Poore & EL Johnston. 2012. A biomonitor as a measure of an ecologically-significant fraction of metals in an industrialized harbour. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 14: 830–838.
40. Birdsey, EM, EL Johnston and AGB Poore. 2012. Diversity and cover of a sessile animal assemblage does not predict its associated mobile fauna. Marine Biology 159: 551–560.
39. Cook, K, MA Vanderklift, AGB Poore, 2011. Strong effects of herbivorous amphipods on epiphyte biomass in a temperate seagrass meadow. Marine Ecology Progress Series 442: 263–269.
38. Hay, KB, Poore, AGB and CE Lovelock. 2011. Effects of nutrient availability on tolerance to herbivory in a brown seaweed. Journal of Ecology 99: 1540–1550.
37. Hellyer, CB, D Harasti and AGB Poore. 2011. Manipulating artificial habitats to benefit seahorses in Sydney Harbour. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 21: 582–589.
*36. Moles, AT, SP Bonser, AGB Poore, IR Wallis and WJ Foley. 2011. Assessing the evidence for latitudinal gradients in plant defence and herbivory. Functional Ecology 25: 380–388.
35. Hay, KB, KA Millers, AGB Poore and CE Lovelock. 2010. The use of near infrared reflectance spectrometry for characterisation of brown algal tissue traits. Journal of Phycology 46: 937-946.
34. Pease, CJ, EL Johnston, and AGB Poore. 2010. Genetic variability in tolerance to copper contamination in a herbivorous marine invertebrate. Aquatic Toxicology 99: 10–16.
33. Simpson, SJ, D Raubenheimer, MA Charleston, FJ Clissold and the ARC-NZ Vegetation Function Network Herbivory Working Group*. 2010. Modelling nutritional interactions: from individuals to communities, Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25: 53-60. * includes: ID Couzin, KD Clements, RA Coleman, A Dussutour, WJ Foley, JS Forbey, E Glaze, IJ Gordon, J Hanan, D Hochuli, MR Kearney, C McArthur, AJ Pile, AGB Poore, GA Sword and IR Wallis.
32. Monro, K and AGB Poore. 2009. The evolvability of growth form in a clonal seaweed. Evolution 63: 3147–3157.
31. Sotka, EE, JS Forbey, M Horn, AGB Poore, D Raubenheimer and K Whalen. 2009. The emerging role of pharmacology in understanding the ecology and evolution of marine and freshwater consumers. Integrative and Comparative Biology 49: 291-313.
30. Monro, K and AGB Poore. 2009. Performance benefits of growth-form plasticity in a clonal red seaweed. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 97: 80–89.
29. Monro, K and AGB Poore. 2009. The potential for evolutionary responses to cell-lineage selection on growth form and its plasticity in a red seaweed. The American Naturalist 173: 151-163.
28. Poore, AGB, AH Campbell and PD Steinberg. 2009. Natural densities of mesograzers fail to limit growth of macroalgae or their epiphytes in a temperate algal bed. Journal of Ecology 97: 164–175.
*Selected by the journal to feature in a Virtual issue highlighting research in the southern hemisphere.
*Recommended by the Faculty of 1000 – see the review here.
27. Roberts, DA, EL Johnston, and AGB Poore. 2008. Biomonitors and the assessment of ecological impacts: Distribution of herbivorous epifauna in contaminated algal beds. Environmental Pollution 156: 489-503.
26. Roberts, DA, EL Johnston, and AGB Poore. 2008. Contamination of marine biogenic habitats and effects upon associated epifauna. Marine Pollution Bulletin 56: 1057-1065.
25. Roberts, DA, EL Johnston, S Müller and AGB Poore. 2008. Field and laboratory simulations of storm water pulses: behavioural avoidance by marine epifauna. Environmental Pollution 152: 153-162.
24. Poore, AGB, NA Hill and EE Sotka, 2008. Phylogenetic and geographic variation in host breadth and composition by herbivorous amphipods in the family Ampithoidae. Evolution 62:21-38.
23. Monro, K, AGB Poore and R Brooks. 2007. Multivariate selection shapes environment-dependent variation in the clonal morphology of a red seaweed. Evolutionary Ecology 21: 765-782.
22. Roberts, DA, AGB Poore and EL Johnston 2007. MBACI sampling of an episodic disturbance: stormwater effects on algal epifauna. Marine Environment Research 64: 514-523.
21. Perrett, LA, EL Johnston and AGB Poore. 2006. Impact by association: direct and indirect effects of copper exposure on mobile invertebrate fauna. Marine Ecology Progress Series 326: 195-205.
20. Poore, AGB and NA Hill. 2006. Sources of variation in herbivore preference: among individual and past diet effects on amphipod host choice. Marine Biology 149: 1403-1410.
*19. Roberts, DA, AGB Poore and EL Johnston. 2006. Ecological consequences of copper contamination in macroalgae: effects on epifauna and associated herbivores. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 25: 2470-2479.
* Featured Channel 9 news, Science Daily
18. Roberts, DA and AGB Poore. 2006. Habitat configuration affects colonisation of epifauna in a marine algal bed. Biological Conservation 127: 18-26.
17. Poore, AGB and NA Hill. 2005. Spatial associations among palatable and unpalatable macroalgae: a test of associational resistance with a herbivorous amphipod. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 326: 207-216 .
16. Wright, JT, SA Dworjanyn, CN Rogers, PD Steinberg, JE Williamson and AGB Poore. 2005. Density-dependent effects of sea urchin grazing: selective removal of species and alternative community states. Marine Ecology Progress Series 298: 143-156.
15. Poore, AGB. 2005. Scales of dispersal in a herbivorous marine amphipod. Austral Ecology 30: 219-228.
14. Monro, K. and AGB Poore. 2005. Light quantity and quality induce shade-avoiding plasticity in a marine macroalga. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18: 426-435.
13. Wright, JT, R. de Nys, AGB Poore, and PD. Steinberg. 2004. Chemical defense in a marine alga: heritability and the potential for selection by herbivores. Ecology 85: 2946-2959.
12. Pineda-Krch, M and AGB Poore. 2004. Spatial interactions within modular organisms: genetic heterogeneity and organism fitness. Theoretical Population Biology 66: 25-36.
11. Poore, AGB. 2004. Spatial associations among algae affect host use in a herbivorous marine amphipod. Oecologia 140: 104-112.
10. Monro K and AGB Poore. 2004. Selection in modular organisms: is intraclonal variation in macroalgae evolutionarily important? The American Naturalist 163: 564-578.
9. Hill, NA, C Blount, AGB Poore, D Worthington and PD Steinberg. 2003 Grazing effects of the sea urchin Centrostephanus rodgersii in two contrasting rocky reef habitats: effects of urchin density and its implications for the fishery. Marine and Freshwater Research 54: 691-700.
8. Poore, AGB and PD Steinberg. 2001. Host plant adaptation in a herbivorous marine amphipod: genetic potential not realized in field populations. Evolution 55: 68-80.
7. Poore, AGB and T Fagerström. 2001. A general model for selection among modules in a haplo-diploid life history. Oikos 92: 256-264.
6. Poore, AGB, MJ Watson, R de Nys, JK Lowry and PD Steinberg. 2000. Patterns of host use among algal and sponge associated amphipods. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208: 183-196.
5. Poore, AGB and T Fagerström. 2000. Intraclonal genetic variation in macroalgae: causes and consequences. Selection 1-3: 123-133.
4. Poore, AGB and PD Steinberg. 1999. Preference-performance relationships and effects of host plant choice in an herbivorous marine amphipod. Ecological Monographs 69: 443-464.
3. Poore, AGB and JK Lowry. 1997. New ampithoid amphipods from Port Jackson, New South Wales, Australia (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Ampithoidae). Invertebrate Taxonomy 11: 897-941.
2. Jenkins, GP, MJ Wheatley and AGB Poore. 1996. Spatial variation in recruitment, growth, and feeding of post-settlement King George Whiting, Sillaginodes punctata, associated with seagrass beds of Port Phillip Bay, Australia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53: 350-359.
1. Poore, AGB. 1994. Selective herbivory by amphipods inhabiting the brown alga Zonaria angustata. Marine Ecology Progress Series 107: 113-122.
Roberts, DA, AGB Poore and EL Johnston 2007. Sydney Harbour’s seaweeds: a deadly diet for sea creatures. Australasian Science, August 2007: 36-38.
Brooks, R, AGB Poore and S Bonser. 2004. Exploring the broader social context of a conceptually rich science course: a collaborative learning program. UNSW Compendium of Good Practice in Learning and Teaching. 1: 41-50.