79. Clark, JS, AGB Poore & MA Doblin. In press. Shaping up for stress: Physiological flexibility is key to its survivorship in a habitat-forming macroalga. Journal of Plant Physiology
78. Glasier, JRN, AGB Poore and DJ Eldridge. In press. Do mutualistic associations have broader host ranges than neutral or antagonistic associations? A test using myrmecophiles as model organisms. Insectes Sociaux
*77. Archer, M, AGB Poore, AM Horn, H Bates, S. Bonser, M Hunt, J Russell, NP Archer, D Bye and EJ Kehoe. 2018. Thirty-two years of continuous assessment reveal first year university biology students in Australia are rapidly abandoning beliefs in theistic involvement in human origins. Evolution: Education and Outreach 11:12.
76. Graba-Landry, A, AS Hoey, JK Matley, H Sheppard-Brennand, AGB Poore, M Byrne & SA Dworjanyn. 2018. Ocean warming has greater and more consistent negative effects than ocean acidification on the growth and health of subtropical macroalgae. Marine Ecology Progress Series 595: 55-69.
75. Lanham, B, Vergés, A, L Hedge, EL Johnston & AGB Poore. 2018. Altered fish community and feeding behaviour in close proximity to boat moorings in an urban estuary. Marine Pollution Bulletin 129: 43-51.
74. Vergés, A, C Doropoulos, R Czarnik, K McMahon, N Llonch & AGB Poore. in press. Latitudinal variation in seagrass herbivory: global patterns and explanatory mechanisms. Global Ecology and Biogeography.
72. Evans, SM, KJ Griffin, AGB Poore and A Vergés. 2018. Seagrass on the brink: decline of threatened seagrass Posidonia australis continues following protection. PLoS ONE 13(4): e0190370.
71. Evans, SM, EA Sinclair, AGB Poore, KF Bain and A Vergés. 2018. Assessing the effect of genetic diversity on the early establishment of the threatened seagrass Posidonia australis using a reciprocal-transplant experiment. Restoration Ecology 26: 570-580.
70. Sotka, EE, V Jormalainen and AGB Poore. 2018. The evolution of marine herbivores in response to algal secondary metabolites. Pp. 193-220 in Puglisi, MP and MA Becerro (eds.) Chemical ecology: the ecological impacts of marine natural products. CRC Press.
69. Gribben, PE, DL Kimbro, A Vergés, TC Gouhier, S Burrell, RG Garthwin, M Lastra Cagigas, Y Tordoff and AGB Poore. 2017. Positive and negative interactions control a facilitation cascade. Ecosphere 8: e02065.
*68. Evans, SM, A Vergés and Poore, AGB. 2017. Genotypic diversity and short-term response to shading stress in a threatened seagrass: does low diversity mean low resilience? Frontiers in Plant Science 8: 147.
*Part of a Special Topic on the Conservation Ecology of Aquatic Plants
*67. Poore, AGB, ST Ahyong, JK Lowry and EE Sotka. 2017. Plant feeding promotes diversification in the Crustacea. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 114: 8829–8834.
*Commentary on the Australian Museum’s blog
*Editor’s choice for September 2017 issue
63. Foo, SA, SA Dworjanyn, AGB Poore, J Harianto and M Byrne. 2016. Adaptive capacity of the sea urchin Heliocidaris erythrogramma to ocean change stressors: responses from gamete performance to the juvenile. Marine Ecology Progress Series 556: 161-172.
62. Hughes, LE and AGB Poore. 2016. Biancolina japonica Ishimaru 1996: first record of this burrowing amphipod from Australia and a review of host use in the genus Biancolina (Amphipoda: Peracarida: Crustacea). Marine Biodiversity Records 9:32.
61. Poore, AGB, S Graham, M Byrne and SA Dworjanyn. 2016. Effects of ocean warming and lowered pH on algal growth and palatability to a grazing gastropod. Marine Biology 163: 99.
60. Stelling-Wood, TP, GF Clark and AGB Poore. 2016. Responses of ghost crabs to human modification of urban sandy beaches. Marine Environmental Research 116: 32-40.
59. Bain, KF and AGB Poore. 2016. Use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to quantify diet mixing in a marine generalist herbivore. Marine Biology 163: 79.
58. Evans, SM, E Sinclair, AGB Poore, KF Bain, A Vergés. 2016. Genotypic richness predicts phenotypic variation in an endangered clonal plant. PeerJ 4:e1633.
57. Eldridge, DJ, AGB Poore, M Ruiz-Colmenero, M Letnic and S Soliveres. 2016. Ecosystem structure, function and composition in rangelands are negatively affected by livestock, irrespective of grazing pressure or rainfall. Ecological Applications 26: 1273–1283.
*56. Cooke, J, R Lanfear, A Downing, MR Gillings, AGB Poore, ID Goodwin, LS Waldron, A Phillips ,Y Metti and MW Bulbert. 2015. The unusual occurrence of green algal balls of Chaetomorpha linum on a beach in Sydney, Australia. Botanica Marina 58: 401-417.
*My popular science article on ScienceAlert about this event
55. Lanham,BS, PE Gribben and AGB Poore. 2015. Beyond the border: effects of an expanding algal habitat on the fauna of neighbouring habitats. Marine Environmental Research 106: 10-18.
54. Mejaes, BA, AGB Poore and M Thiel. 2015. Crustaceans inhabiting domiciles excavated from macrophytes and stone. Pp. 118-144 In Thiel, M and L Watling (eds) The life styles and feeding biology of the Crustacea. Volume II in the natural history of the Crustacea series. Oxford University Press.
*53. Foo, SA, SA Dworjanyn, MS Khatkar, AGB Poore and M Byrne. 2014. Increased temperature, but not acidification, enhances fertilization and development in a tropical urchin: potential for adaptation to a tropicalized eastern Australia. Evolutionary Applications 7: 1226–1237.
*Winner, 2015 Tony Roach Prize in Marine Environmental Science, Sydney Institute of Marine Science
*52. Vergés A, PD Steinberg, ME Hay, AGB Poore, AH Campbell, E Ballesteros, KL Heck Jr, D Booth, MA Coleman, D Feary, W Figueira, T Langlois, EM Marzinelli, T Mizerek, PJ Mumby, Y Nakamura, M Roughan, E van Sebille, A Sen Gupta, DA Smale, F Tomas, T Wernberg, SK Wilson. 2014. The tropicalisation of temperate marine ecosystems: climate-mediated changes in herbivory cause community phase shifts. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B. 281(1789): 20140846.
51. Evans, SM, EA Sinclair, AGB Poore, PD Steinberg, G Kendrick and A Vergés. 2014. Genetic diversity in threatened Posidonia australis seagrass meadows. Conservation Genetics 15: 717-728.
*50. Poore, AGB, L Gutow, J Pantoja, F Tala, D Jofré Madariaga and M Thiel. 2014. Major consequences of minor damage: impacts of small grazers on fast growing kelps. Oecologia 174: 789-801.
* Cover article
49. Garthwin, RG, AGB Poore and A Vergés. 2014. Seagrass tolerance to herbivory under increased ocean temperatures. Marine Pollution Bulletin 83: 475-482.
* Part of special volume on Seagrass meadows in a globally changing environment
48. Bain, K, A Vergés and AGB Poore. 2013. Using near infra red reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS) to quantify tissue composition in the seagrass Posidonia australis. Aquatic Botany 111: 66-70.
*47. Poore, AGB, A Graba-Landry, M Favret, M Byrne, H Sheppard Brennand and SA Dworjanyn. 2013. Direct and indirect effects of ocean acidification and warming on a plant-herbivore interaction. Oecologia 73: 1113-1124.
* Featured on ABC Science
*46. Clark, JS, AGB Poore, PJ Ralph and MA Doblin. 2013. Potential for adaptation in response to thermal stress in an intertidal macroalga. Journal of Phycology 49: 630–639.
* Winner, Luigi Provasoli award from the Phycological Society of America
* Cover article – featured as the Journal of Phycology’s Algae Highlight
*Featured on Science Alert
45. Moles, AT, B Peco, IR Wallis, WJ Foley, AGB Poore, AJ Bisigato, L Cella-Pizarro, CJ Clark, PS Cohen, WK Cornwell, W Edwards, R Ejrnaes T Gonzales-Ojeda, BJ Graae, G Hay, F Lumbwe, B Magaña-Rodríguez, BD Moore, PL Peri, JR Poulsen, JC Stegen, R Veldtman, H von Zeipel, NR Andrew, SL Boulter, ET Borer, F Fernández Campón, M Coll, AG Farji-Brener, J De Gabriel, E Jurado, LA Kyhn, B Low, CPH Mulder, K Reardon-Smith, J Rodríguez-Velázquez, EW Seabloom, PA Vesk, A van Cauter, MS Waldram, Z Zheng, PG Blendinger, BJ Enquist, JM Facelli, T Knight, JD Majer, M Martinez-Ramos, P McQuillan, LD Prior, FKC Hui. 2013. Correlations between physical and chemical defences in plants: Trade-offs, syndromes, or just many different ways to skin a herbivorous cat? New Phytologist 198: 252-263.
44. Poore, AGB and KM Gallagher. 2013. Strong consequences of diet choice in a talitrid amphipod consuming seagrass and algal wrack. Hydrobiologia 701: 117-127.
43. Foo, SA, SA Dworjanyn, AGB Poore and M Byrne. 2012. Adaptive capacity of the habitat modifying sea urchin Centrostephanus rodgersii to ocean warming and ocean acidification: performance of early embryos. PLoS ONE 7: e42497.
42. Poore, AGB, AH Campbell, RA Coleman, GJ Edgar, V Jormalainen, PL Reynolds, EE Sotka, JJ Stachowicz, RB Taylor, MA Vanderklift and JE Duffy. 2012. Global patterns in the impact of marine herbivores on benthic primary producers. Ecology Letters 15: 912-922.
*Open access in Reviews and Syntheses section
* Featured in Cosmos magazine
41. Gall, ML, AGB Poore & EL Johnston. 2012. A biomonitor as a measure of an ecologically-significant fraction of metals in an industrialized harbour. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 14: 830–838.
40. Birdsey, EM, EL Johnston and AGB Poore. 2012. Diversity and cover of a sessile animal assemblage does not predict its associated mobile fauna. Marine Biology 159: 551–560.
39. Cook, K, MA Vanderklift, AGB Poore, 2011. Strong effects of herbivorous amphipods on epiphyte biomass in a temperate seagrass meadow. Marine Ecology Progress Series 442: 263–269.
38. Hay, KB, Poore, AGB and CE Lovelock. 2011. Effects of nutrient availability on tolerance to herbivory in a brown seaweed. Journal of Ecology 99: 1540–1550.
37. Hellyer, CB, D Harasti and AGB Poore. 2011. Manipulating artificial habitats to benefit seahorses in Sydney Harbour. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 21: 582–589.
*36. Moles, AT, SP Bonser, AGB Poore, IR Wallis and WJ Foley. 2011. Assessing the evidence for latitudinal gradients in plant defence and herbivory. Functional Ecology 25: 380–388.
35. Hay, KB, KA Millers, AGB Poore and CE Lovelock. 2010. The use of near infrared reflectance spectrometry for characterisation of brown algal tissue traits. Journal of Phycology 46: 937-946.
34. Pease, CJ, EL Johnston, and AGB Poore. 2010. Genetic variability in tolerance to copper contamination in a herbivorous marine invertebrate. Aquatic Toxicology 99: 10–16.
33. Simpson, SJ, D Raubenheimer, MA Charleston, FJ Clissold and the ARC-NZ Vegetation Function Network Herbivory Working Group*. 2010. Modelling nutritional interactions: from individuals to communities, Trends in Ecology and Evolution 25: 53-60. * includes: ID Couzin, KD Clements, RA Coleman, A Dussutour, WJ Foley, JS Forbey, E Glaze, IJ Gordon, J Hanan, D Hochuli, MR Kearney, C McArthur, AJ Pile, AGB Poore, GA Sword and IR Wallis.
32. Monro, K and AGB Poore. 2009. The evolvability of growth form in a clonal seaweed. Evolution 63: 3147–3157.
31. Sotka, EE, JS Forbey, M Horn, AGB Poore, D Raubenheimer and K Whalen. 2009. The emerging role of pharmacology in understanding the ecology and evolution of marine and freshwater consumers. Integrative and Comparative Biology 49: 291-313.
30. Monro, K and AGB Poore. 2009. Performance benefits of growth-form plasticity in a clonal red seaweed. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 97: 80–89.
29. Monro, K and AGB Poore. 2009. The potential for evolutionary responses to cell-lineage selection on growth form and its plasticity in a red seaweed. The American Naturalist 173: 151-163.
28. Poore, AGB, AH Campbell and PD Steinberg. 2009. Natural densities of mesograzers fail to limit growth of macroalgae or their epiphytes in a temperate algal bed. Journal of Ecology 97: 164–175.
*Selected by the journal to feature in a Virtual issue highlighting research in the southern hemisphere.
*Recommended by the Faculty of 1000 – see the review here.
27. Roberts, DA, EL Johnston, and AGB Poore. 2008. Biomonitors and the assessment of ecological impacts: Distribution of herbivorous epifauna in contaminated algal beds. Environmental Pollution 156: 489-503.
26. Roberts, DA, EL Johnston, and AGB Poore. 2008. Contamination of marine biogenic habitats and effects upon associated epifauna. Marine Pollution Bulletin 56: 1057-1065.
25. Roberts, DA, EL Johnston, S Müller and AGB Poore. 2008. Field and laboratory simulations of storm water pulses: behavioural avoidance by marine epifauna. Environmental Pollution 152: 153-162.
24. Poore, AGB, NA Hill and EE Sotka, 2008. Phylogenetic and geographic variation in host breadth and composition by herbivorous amphipods in the family Ampithoidae. Evolution 62:21-38.
23. Monro, K, AGB Poore and R Brooks. 2007. Multivariate selection shapes environment-dependent variation in the clonal morphology of a red seaweed. Evolutionary Ecology 21: 765-782.
22. Roberts, DA, AGB Poore and EL Johnston 2007. MBACI sampling of an episodic disturbance: stormwater effects on algal epifauna. Marine Environment Research 64: 514-523.
21. Perrett, LA, EL Johnston and AGB Poore. 2006. Impact by association: direct and indirect effects of copper exposure on mobile invertebrate fauna. Marine Ecology Progress Series 326: 195-205.
20. Poore, AGB and NA Hill. 2006. Sources of variation in herbivore preference: among individual and past diet effects on amphipod host choice. Marine Biology 149: 1403-1410.
*19. Roberts, DA, AGB Poore and EL Johnston. 2006. Ecological consequences of copper contamination in macroalgae: effects on epifauna and associated herbivores. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 25: 2470-2479.
* Featured Channel 9 news, Science Daily
18. Roberts, DA and AGB Poore. 2006. Habitat configuration affects colonisation of epifauna in a marine algal bed. Biological Conservation 127: 18-26.
17. Poore, AGB and NA Hill. 2005. Spatial associations among palatable and unpalatable macroalgae: a test of associational resistance with a herbivorous amphipod. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 326: 207-216 .
16. Wright, JT, SA Dworjanyn, CN Rogers, PD Steinberg, JE Williamson and AGB Poore. 2005. Density-dependent effects of sea urchin grazing: selective removal of species and alternative community states. Marine Ecology Progress Series 298: 143-156.
15. Poore, AGB. 2005. Scales of dispersal in a herbivorous marine amphipod. Austral Ecology 30: 219-228.
14. Monro, K. and AGB Poore. 2005. Light quantity and quality induce shade-avoiding plasticity in a marine macroalga. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18: 426-435.
13. Wright, JT, R. de Nys, AGB Poore, and PD. Steinberg. 2004. Chemical defense in a marine alga: heritability and the potential for selection by herbivores. Ecology 85: 2946-2959.
12. Pineda-Krch, M and AGB Poore. 2004. Spatial interactions within modular organisms: genetic heterogeneity and organism fitness. Theoretical Population Biology 66: 25-36.
11. Poore, AGB. 2004. Spatial associations among algae affect host use in a herbivorous marine amphipod. Oecologia 140: 104-112.
10. Monro K and AGB Poore. 2004. Selection in modular organisms: is intraclonal variation in macroalgae evolutionarily important? The American Naturalist 163: 564-578.
9. Hill, NA, C Blount, AGB Poore, D Worthington and PD Steinberg. 2003 Grazing effects of the sea urchin Centrostephanus rodgersii in two contrasting rocky reef habitats: effects of urchin density and its implications for the fishery. Marine and Freshwater Research 54: 691-700.
8. Poore, AGB and PD Steinberg. 2001. Host plant adaptation in a herbivorous marine amphipod: genetic potential not realized in field populations. Evolution 55: 68-80.
7. Poore, AGB and T Fagerström. 2001. A general model for selection among modules in a haplo-diploid life history. Oikos 92: 256-264.
6. Poore, AGB, MJ Watson, R de Nys, JK Lowry and PD Steinberg. 2000. Patterns of host use among algal and sponge associated amphipods. Marine Ecology Progress Series 208: 183-196.
5. Poore, AGB and T Fagerström. 2000. Intraclonal genetic variation in macroalgae: causes and consequences. Selection 1-3: 123-133.
4. Poore, AGB and PD Steinberg. 1999. Preference-performance relationships and effects of host plant choice in an herbivorous marine amphipod. Ecological Monographs 69: 443-464.
3. Poore, AGB and JK Lowry. 1997. New ampithoid amphipods from Port Jackson, New South Wales, Australia (Crustacea: Amphipoda: Ampithoidae). Invertebrate Taxonomy 11: 897-941.
2. Jenkins, GP, MJ Wheatley and AGB Poore. 1996. Spatial variation in recruitment, growth, and feeding of post-settlement King George Whiting, Sillaginodes punctata, associated with seagrass beds of Port Phillip Bay, Australia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53: 350-359.
1. Poore, AGB. 1994. Selective herbivory by amphipods inhabiting the brown alga Zonaria angustata. Marine Ecology Progress Series 107: 113-122.
Roberts, DA, AGB Poore and EL Johnston 2007. Sydney Harbour’s seaweeds: a deadly diet for sea creatures. Australasian Science, August 2007: 36-38.
Brooks, R, AGB Poore and S Bonser. 2004. Exploring the broader social context of a conceptually rich science course: a collaborative learning program. UNSW Compendium of Good Practice in Learning and Teaching. 1: 41-50.